Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dancing as Stress Relief!

Recently, I went to a friend's bachelorette party. I know what your thinking...party time. However, it was very classy. Yes, there were the typical party animals, but the whole event was a great stress reliever to be around like-minded business individuals letting lose after a crazy week of work and responsibility. The most freeing of all the activities, was the dancing part.

Dancing is where the Mind-Body Connection sets in. I have always been in favor of dancing to whatever genre of music resignates with your body. For example, 80's, hip hop, and high energy dance music make me want to bob my head and tap my toe to the beat, even if I am in the grocery store. I don't care how coordinated my moves are when I dance, it is more about the movement to a song that lifts my mood no matter how stressed I am feeling. These thoughts entered my mind as I was jiving to the beats- it is not only great exercise (which is why we stayed an extra 30 minutes, my like-minded cousin and I always maximizing our workouts) but to let lose and not have a care in the world (unless you are there to meet a mate) is the best feeling. Especially when you are surrounded by other people letting lose and "gettin jiggy wit it"!

So dance, dance, dance! Even if it is a waltz lesson, tap dance lesson, night out with the ladies (because let's face it, "I just need to dance!" (Dane Cook)), a Micheal Jackson song dance off, or by yourself with Lady Gaga or the Police turned up! You may be hesitant at first, but like all exercise sessions, once you start doing it, you'll wish got started earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment