Tuesday, October 19, 2010

CORE ACTIVATION REDUCES BACK PAIN!

I don't know how many times a day I say this in my training sessions! (If you are a client of mine reading this, you'll know the pain). However, I cannot stress enough how important it is to fire the core muscles before you move your limbs! It sounds easy enough and if it were, we would have few cases of back problems. Weak core muscles, inability to activate the core muscles, and poor core (torso-pelvic-hip) alignment is one of the leading causes of backpain.

If you activate your ab muscles first, and then perform the movement, you will have a stronger output as well as core stability and decreased back pain after a while.

Myself, as well as countless other people I have spoken with, have seen several kinds of doctors for low back pain. I have seen Chiropracters, Sports Medicine Doctors, Primary Care Physicians, Physical Therapists and a few other professionals, and the one thing that worked out of all these treatments, (including a stint with a pain analgesic one of the doctors perscribed for a spasm that left me incapacitated for two days. Luckily, it was in college and my friends were accustomed to having a body sprawled on the couch for more than 24 hours!), was core strength. Only two of the doctors recommended that I should try to strengthen my abs. Only two! One guy, analyzed me as if I were a car and spoke into a voice recorder instead of speaking to me during the whole exam....that was bizarre.

Anyway, the moral of this story, is that if you are experiencing back pain, especially in the lumbar-sacral area, try putting yourself through a gentle abdominal strengthening program. Give it a month or two to ellicit the results you are working for and STAY CONSISTENT. Give pilates a try, if you haven't done so already, to learn proper pelvo-hip alignment and get some tips on how to hold your abs properly through out the day.

Give this a try and please leave a similar story or added tips for everyone to read! Anything to help a few more people to live life pain free and function optimally!

5 comments:

  1. Great info...I notice a huge difference when my abs are stronger...my whole body hurts less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of ab exercises help? I have been doing traditional crunches and they seem to hurt my neck and my abs aren't getting any stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you posting on ab strength. HOwever, I had twins over 20 years ago and don't even think my "core" exists anymore. I only get lower back bain after house work, a home project or a working alot.

    Any advice on gentle exercises for seniors who still try to be active from time to time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might find this interesting...

    http://seniorliving.about.com/od/exercisefitnes1/a/4seniorexercise.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.yogaswings.com/

    I have heard of this contraption from a friend and she recommended it to relieve total back pain! I just saw it on the google ads and wante to throw it out there to anyone reading this blog about back pain...here is yet another tool to add to your pain relief box

    ReplyDelete